Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Philosophy Wire: Depersonalization. A disorder? [OR: Do you believe in yourself?]


Philosophy Wire by Spiros Kakos [2017-05-16]: Depersonalization-derealization disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have the feeling that you're observing yourself from outside your body or you have a sense that things around you aren't real, or both. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization can be very disturbing and may feel like you're living in a dream.

Many people have a passing experience of depersonalization or derealization at some point. But when these feelings keep occurring or never completely go away, it's considered depersonalization-derealization disorder. This disorder is more common in people who've had traumatic experiences. [1]
People with depersonalisation disorder describe a sense of complete detachment, a life lived as an automaton or on autopilot, characterised by an absence of emotions, either good or bad. They feel as though they are observing their life through a plate of glass or a dense fog, or as if it is appearing in a film. Their bodies and their beings have separated; their limbs are no longer their own.
“It was a constant, continuous otherworldly experience,” a patient says. “It’s a feeling that, if you’re feeling this way, you shouldn’t be existing at the same time. The feeling was of having left myself completely, constantly trying to grasp on to reality”. [2]
“One day I was walking around the city, minding my own business, when suddenly I found myself looking down at myself from somewhere near the awning of a store. It was unreal and the weirdest thing in the world!” a patient explains, his hands shaking. “Since then, and that was 20 years ago, I’ve had one experience like that after another and never completely felt like I was back in my body. I constantly feel spaced out”, he describes. [3]

Read again the above text.
As if the alienation from yourself is not a disorder.

Personalization-Realization disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have the feeling that you're observing yourself from inside your body or you have a sense that things around you are real, or both. Feelings of personalization and realization can be very disturbing and may feel like you're not living in a dream.

Many people have a passing experience of personalization or realization at some point. But when these feelings keep occurring or never completely go away, it's considered a disorder. This disorder is more common in people who've never had any traumatic experiences. [1]
People with personalisation disorder describe a sense of complete attachment to the seld, a life lived as a free will sentient being, characterized by an abundance of emotions, either good or bad. They feel as though they are observing their life through themselves, or as if it is appearing in a film and they play the leading role. Their bodies and their beings are one; their limbs seem to be their own.
“It was a constant, continuous otherworldly experience,” a patient says. “It’s a feeling that, if you’re feeling this way, you believe you should be existing at the same time. The feeling was of having been attached to myself completely, constantly being in sync with reality”. [2]
“One day I was walking around the city, minding my own business, when suddenly I found myself looking at myself from within my body. It was unreal and the weirdest thing in the world!” a patient explains, his hands shaking. “Since then, and that was 20 years ago, I’ve had one experience like that after another and never completely felt like I was again outside of my body. I constantly feel spaced in”, he describes. [3]


How irrational does it sound?
How true?

Think irrationally! It is the only way to see Dasein!
Impersonally.
(c) Philosophy WIRES - Commenting world news from philosophy's perspective…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...